Jan 18, 2011, 9:24 AM EST
John Wall played maybe his best game of the season Monday. Matched up on the elite Deron Williams of Utah, Wall had 19 points (7-of-12 shooting) and a career high 15 assists — one of those a pass to Nick Young in the corner to seal the win with a three. Wall did a good job of getting his teammates the ball in spots they like on the floor.
More importantly, Wall seemed to be in control. At points this season he has seemed to play a little too fast, Monday it seemed like the game slowed down for him a little. There were fewer of the reckless drives and passes, particularly in the second half.
Wall plays with his emotions visible, and in an interesting note in the Washington Post he has asked coach Flip Saunders to help him keep his attitude right by fining him.
Wall had urged Saunders to be harder on him two weeks ago, asking him to keep pushing him to get better, because, “I want to be a great point guard.” He even asked to receive fines whenever he starts to pout, sulk or show frustration during games.
“It ain’t too much,” Wall said of the fines, “but it’s enough to keep my pockets empty. I don’t want to lose that money.”
That’s a pretty mature way to deal with things. And it started to show on the court Monday.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)