Jan 18, 2011, 7:31 PM EST
At some point, all of the insanity surrounding Carmelo Anthony and his proposed trade had to catch up with him. That point may have been today.
Nuggets coach George Karl called Anthony “very distracted” during today’s practice, reports Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.
“If Melo plays distracted, I can’t play him as many minutes,” Karl, whose Nuggets play host to Oklahoma City on Wednesday, told FanHouse. “I thought he was very distracted (Tuesday)… I don’t know (if it’s because of trade rumors). I don’t have that answer.”
It looks more and more like the ongoing ‘Melo trade saga is nearing an end, one way or another, and the distraction may well be a sign of that.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov will arrive in the United States Wednesday and Karl hints he will be granted the chance to sit down and at least talk with Anthony. Deny it all you want, it has to happen.
Ken Berger of CBSSports again reports that Anthony only wants to sign an extension to play with the Nuggets or Knicks. Variants of that report have been going on since last summer. At this point that defies all logic.
Put simply, there is no way Anthony’s agent and the front office of Denver — with whom Anthony has a good relationship — would have let everything get this far down the road on a massive three-team trade without Anthony at some point at least saying he would consider signing with the Nets. If there were a clear and consistent no, this would have died long ago.
That doesn’t mean the trade is to happen, if Anthony needs to meet with the Nets and be sold it says something about his feelings. But we’re going to learn soon pretty soon what is happening. If this drags out much longer, it will be bad for the distracted Nuggets and other teams involved.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 3
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39