Jan 18, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Rip Hamilton sat again Monday, a fourth consecutive DNP-CD on the scorecard (Did Not Play, Coach’s Decision).
Some Pistons fans want none of it and started chanting “We want Rip” during the team’s victory over Dallas Monday, according to the Detroit News. Admittedly it wasn’t a huge roar, but at least some fans realize that this team is better when he plays (although they didn’t need him against the slumping Mavericks).
Almost certainly the benching is so he doesn’t get injured because he is part of the proposed three-team Carmelo Anthony trade and the Pistons really want that to happen. Of course, with coach John Kuester’s erratic lineups we can never be totally sure, but even he would not bench Rip this long. It is about the trade.
It seems Hamilton has played his last game as a Piston, even if the Anthony deal falls through Hamilton will be moved somewhere. But for now he sits, and those chants may grow louder.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 16
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10