Jan 17, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
Why would you think otherwise? Oh yea, this summer when his agent demanded a trade and even threatened a holdout at one point. Fernandez’s people demanding a trade or an outright release of his deal so he could play somewhere he wanted to be, like New York or Spain, because he and coach Nate McMillan could not get along.
Now, it’s all puppy dogs and rainbows with Fernandez in Portland.
“I want to be here. I’m having fun. I bought a home. I bought a car. I don’t know what else I can do to prove I want to be here. I’m playing now, too.”
Actually, Fernandez is playing less this season, about three minutes less per game than he did last season (although he played in only 62 games last season and barring injury that should jump closer to a full 82 this time around). He’s also shooting a lower percentage this season.
But he has a friend on the team in Patty Mills, the Australian and NBA rookie. Having a friend on a team — with all the travel and down time in the NBA — really matters. With a new buddy, Fernandez is happy and doesn’t want to go anywhere.
Which is usually when guys get traded.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9