Jan 17, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
Why would you think otherwise? Oh yea, this summer when his agent demanded a trade and even threatened a holdout at one point. Fernandez’s people demanding a trade or an outright release of his deal so he could play somewhere he wanted to be, like New York or Spain, because he and coach Nate McMillan could not get along.
Now, it’s all puppy dogs and rainbows with Fernandez in Portland.
“I want to be here. I’m having fun. I bought a home. I bought a car. I don’t know what else I can do to prove I want to be here. I’m playing now, too.”
Actually, Fernandez is playing less this season, about three minutes less per game than he did last season (although he played in only 62 games last season and barring injury that should jump closer to a full 82 this time around). He’s also shooting a lower percentage this season.
But he has a friend on the team in Patty Mills, the Australian and NBA rookie. Having a friend on a team — with all the travel and down time in the NBA — really matters. With a new buddy, Fernandez is happy and doesn’t want to go anywhere.
Which is usually when guys get traded.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 5
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19