Jan 17, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
Why would you think otherwise? Oh yea, this summer when his agent demanded a trade and even threatened a holdout at one point. Fernandez’s people demanding a trade or an outright release of his deal so he could play somewhere he wanted to be, like New York or Spain, because he and coach Nate McMillan could not get along.
Now, it’s all puppy dogs and rainbows with Fernandez in Portland.
“I want to be here. I’m having fun. I bought a home. I bought a car. I don’t know what else I can do to prove I want to be here. I’m playing now, too.”
Actually, Fernandez is playing less this season, about three minutes less per game than he did last season (although he played in only 62 games last season and barring injury that should jump closer to a full 82 this time around). He’s also shooting a lower percentage this season.
But he has a friend on the team in Patty Mills, the Australian and NBA rookie. Having a friend on a team — with all the travel and down time in the NBA — really matters. With a new buddy, Fernandez is happy and doesn’t want to go anywhere.
Which is usually when guys get traded.
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 4
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 78
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 8
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 77
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 45
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17