Jan 17, 2011, 9:14 AM EST
Why would you think otherwise? Oh yea, this summer when his agent demanded a trade and even threatened a holdout at one point. Fernandez’s people demanding a trade or an outright release of his deal so he could play somewhere he wanted to be, like New York or Spain, because he and coach Nate McMillan could not get along.
Now, it’s all puppy dogs and rainbows with Fernandez in Portland.
“I want to be here. I’m having fun. I bought a home. I bought a car. I don’t know what else I can do to prove I want to be here. I’m playing now, too.”
Actually, Fernandez is playing less this season, about three minutes less per game than he did last season (although he played in only 62 games last season and barring injury that should jump closer to a full 82 this time around). He’s also shooting a lower percentage this season.
But he has a friend on the team in Patty Mills, the Australian and NBA rookie. Having a friend on a team — with all the travel and down time in the NBA — really matters. With a new buddy, Fernandez is happy and doesn’t want to go anywhere.
Which is usually when guys get traded.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 3
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 17
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17