Jan 17, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Just as an update, here is where we stand with Carmelo Anthony and the trade rumors, a saga that has become more annoying and drawn out than a Grey’s Anatomy storyline.
Sunday it was reported that the Nets were given permission to talk to Carmelo Anthony, which really meant Nets owners Mikhail Prokhorov and Jay-Z would get to sell him on Brooklyn and the Nets future. Except that Anthony said he didn’t want to talk to anyone (that’s the grammatically correct way of saying it).
Monday afternoon, Avery Johnson told the Star-Ledger he knew nothing of permission being granted.
“Not that I know of,” Johnson said. “I had a conversation with Billy (King, the Nets’ GM) yesterday, and I have not heard that.”
Of course, it’s one thing to say official permission has not been granted and another thing entirely to say that this was informally agreed to through back channels so everything is in place. That’s likely where we really stand.
Anthony signing off on the trade to New Jersey remains the biggest question about the proposed three-team blockbuster. The deal as reported would send Anthony along with Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton to New Jersey; send Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow, some other players and a couple first-round picks to Denver; and give Detroit Troy Murphy and Johan Petro as well as some second-round picks. That’s just the framework — in total, as many as 16 players could move as well as a number of picks.
Pretty soon, this is all going to fall on Anthony to make his decision.
Meanwhile, the Knicks are waiting in the wings, with GM Donnie Walsh telling ESPN he could probably get two first round picks to put in a deal.
“I could probably get more than one, but I’m not going to say how many,” Walsh said Monday morning prior to the Knicks’ game against Phoenix. “But I’m confident I can get a first-round pick.”
That is nice, but really may not matter. Unless Anthony decides it matters. And at the pace this is going it could be weeks before he figures out what he wants. Just like every character on Grey’s Anatomy.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16