Jan 17, 2011, 5:10 PM EST
Just as an update, here is where we stand with Carmelo Anthony and the trade rumors, a saga that has become more annoying and drawn out than a Grey’s Anatomy storyline.
Sunday it was reported that the Nets were given permission to talk to Carmelo Anthony, which really meant Nets owners Mikhail Prokhorov and Jay-Z would get to sell him on Brooklyn and the Nets future. Except that Anthony said he didn’t want to talk to anyone (that’s the grammatically correct way of saying it).
Monday afternoon, Avery Johnson told the Star-Ledger he knew nothing of permission being granted.
“Not that I know of,” Johnson said. “I had a conversation with Billy (King, the Nets’ GM) yesterday, and I have not heard that.”
Of course, it’s one thing to say official permission has not been granted and another thing entirely to say that this was informally agreed to through back channels so everything is in place. That’s likely where we really stand.
Anthony signing off on the trade to New Jersey remains the biggest question about the proposed three-team blockbuster. The deal as reported would send Anthony along with Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton to New Jersey; send Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow, some other players and a couple first-round picks to Denver; and give Detroit Troy Murphy and Johan Petro as well as some second-round picks. That’s just the framework — in total, as many as 16 players could move as well as a number of picks.
Pretty soon, this is all going to fall on Anthony to make his decision.
Meanwhile, the Knicks are waiting in the wings, with GM Donnie Walsh telling ESPN he could probably get two first round picks to put in a deal.
“I could probably get more than one, but I’m not going to say how many,” Walsh said Monday morning prior to the Knicks’ game against Phoenix. “But I’m confident I can get a first-round pick.”
That is nice, but really may not matter. Unless Anthony decides it matters. And at the pace this is going it could be weeks before he figures out what he wants. Just like every character on Grey’s Anatomy.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 2
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8