Jan 17, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
Just as an update, here is where we stand with Carmelo Anthony and the trade rumors, a saga that has become more annoying and drawn out than a Grey’s Anatomy storyline.
Sunday it was reported that the Nets were given permission to talk to Carmelo Anthony, which really meant Nets owners Mikhail Prokhorov and Jay-Z would get to sell him on Brooklyn and the Nets future. Except that Anthony said he didn’t want to talk to anyone (that’s the grammatically correct way of saying it).
Monday afternoon, Avery Johnson told the Star-Ledger he knew nothing of permission being granted.
“Not that I know of,” Johnson said. “I had a conversation with Billy (King, the Nets’ GM) yesterday, and I have not heard that.”
Of course, it’s one thing to say official permission has not been granted and another thing entirely to say that this was informally agreed to through back channels so everything is in place. That’s likely where we really stand.
Anthony signing off on the trade to New Jersey remains the biggest question about the proposed three-team blockbuster. The deal as reported would send Anthony along with Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton to New Jersey; send Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow, some other players and a couple first-round picks to Denver; and give Detroit Troy Murphy and Johan Petro as well as some second-round picks. That’s just the framework — in total, as many as 16 players could move as well as a number of picks.
Pretty soon, this is all going to fall on Anthony to make his decision.
Meanwhile, the Knicks are waiting in the wings, with GM Donnie Walsh telling ESPN he could probably get two first round picks to put in a deal.
“I could probably get more than one, but I’m not going to say how many,” Walsh said Monday morning prior to the Knicks’ game against Phoenix. “But I’m confident I can get a first-round pick.”
That is nice, but really may not matter. Unless Anthony decides it matters. And at the pace this is going it could be weeks before he figures out what he wants. Just like every character on Grey’s Anatomy.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 31
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5