Carmelo Anthony: “I don’t want to talk to nobody.”

Jan 17, 2011, 4:18 AM EDT

Carmelo Anthony

As we told you previously, Carmelo Anthony has been offered freedom to talk to the New Jersey Nets about going East as part of a massive three-team trade

Except, for the record, he doesn’t want to talk to anyone.

That’s what he said Sunday night, as reported by the Denver Post.

“I don’t want to talk to nobody,” Anthony said. “I let the front office handle that type of stuff. It ain’t my job to be talking to New Jersey, New York, Lakers, Dallas, no one. I still won’t step into something like that. I’ve seen a lot of people go through that.

“For me to sit here and say I want to talk to them or Masai (Ujiri, Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations) or Josh (Kronke, Nuggets team president) gave them permission to talk to me, I think that’s false. If that was the case I’m pretty sure I would have gotten a phone call from Masai or Josh about that.”

Not really. Because nobody wants to cross David Stern — or cross the formal lines of tampering — these kind of conversations all take place through intermediaries. It’s all through agents and friends. Firsthand doesn’t happen until the last minute.

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov will be in the United States in the middle of this week. If you don’t think he and Nets minority owner Jay-Z will get a chance to pitch Anthony on the Nets then you don’t think everyone was drunk at the Golden Globes Sunday night. Which is to say, you are naïve.

Things are handled this way so that ‘Melo has plausible deniability. He may not actually know of what meetings he has ahead of him. But he will have the meetings and at the end of the day he still has the hammer — he has to sign a contract extension for the three-team deal to go through. He can decide not to go to New Jersey.

It may not happen immediately. He said he will be with the Nuggets through the end of this week. Still, expect it to happen soon.

But if you think he doesn’t have a meeting first with the bosses of the Nets — people that have been working for weeks to come up with a deal to trade for him — I have land to sell you near the Everglades. Almost alligator free.

1. rickmirer - Jan 17, 2011 at 5:33 AM

Great read! I hope this deal goes through soon. Melo and Stoudamire against the Heatles in the eastern conference finals? That would be basketball heaven.

2. metalhead65 - Jan 17, 2011 at 8:32 AM

come on nuggets take a stand!if he screws up the deal with the nets then ship his ass to the timberwolves and let him deal with real losing since it is all about winning for him.sure you won’t get much if anything in return but you get nothing when he leaves as a free agent.who cares if it looks petty on your part,not any worse in my book than what he is doing to the nuggets.

• petermcd88 - Jan 18, 2011 at 2:36 AM

That is a pretty stupid comment and shows you have no business sense at all. If you get nothing in return in a trade you cripple the franchise in the future and leave no hope or reason for Denver fans to continue to go to games. The NBA is not the NFL, you don’t automatically sell out games regardless of the players or record. You need to put talent on the court.

3. bigtrav425 - Jan 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM

This is out of control….as much as i hate the guy Stern needs to step in.These situations are gettin to be to much drama and crazy.and im sick and tired of reading about them.The owners need to take a stand somehow and not let these players dictate where they go.Id trade him to charlotte for the rest of the yr just to be a dick and make a point

• petermcd88 - Jan 18, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Again you are just as dumb as the other guy. Denver is not trading Melo because he demanded a trade! Denver is trading Melo because he is in the last year of his deal and does not want to sign an extension. If he had signed an extension, decided he wanted out and then had a list of teams he would go to I would agree with you. But they are trading him now to get value for him instead of leaving as a free agent. A team trading for him would want him for more than a few months so to get the most value for him he would have to sign an extension. You legally have to have free agency so I don’t see anyway possible to stop situations like these. Even if they add a franchise tag in the NBA, the player still has to sign it.

4. silencegooddoer - Jan 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Who is Mello’s agent? Shoog Nite! LOL Owner’s wake up and take the legue YOU own back! David Stern is intimidated by these thugs.

• petermcd88 - Jan 18, 2011 at 2:50 AM

You my friend, make the guys commenting above look like Nobel Peace Prize winners. I have no doubt you are the proud product of inter familial breeding in a backwoods southern town. Players like Melo, Kobe, Lebron, Durant and Wade probably make owners 4 to 5 times as much money in revenue as they make in salary. I would try to explain how it works but I think you need to have gone past the 8th grade to really understand

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches