Jan 17, 2011, 4:18 AM EDT
Except, for the record, he doesn’t want to talk to anyone.
That’s what he said Sunday night, as reported by the Denver Post.
“I don’t want to talk to nobody,” Anthony said. “I let the front office handle that type of stuff. It ain’t my job to be talking to New Jersey, New York, Lakers, Dallas, no one. I still won’t step into something like that. I’ve seen a lot of people go through that.
“For me to sit here and say I want to talk to them or Masai (Ujiri, Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations) or Josh (Kronke, Nuggets team president) gave them permission to talk to me, I think that’s false. If that was the case I’m pretty sure I would have gotten a phone call from Masai or Josh about that.”
Not really. Because nobody wants to cross David Stern — or cross the formal lines of tampering — these kind of conversations all take place through intermediaries. It’s all through agents and friends. Firsthand doesn’t happen until the last minute.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov will be in the United States in the middle of this week. If you don’t think he and Nets minority owner Jay-Z will get a chance to pitch Anthony on the Nets then you don’t think everyone was drunk at the Golden Globes Sunday night. Which is to say, you are naïve.
Things are handled this way so that ‘Melo has plausible deniability. He may not actually know of what meetings he has ahead of him. But he will have the meetings and at the end of the day he still has the hammer — he has to sign a contract extension for the three-team deal to go through. He can decide not to go to New Jersey.
It may not happen immediately. He said he will be with the Nuggets through the end of this week. Still, expect it to happen soon.
But if you think he doesn’t have a meeting first with the bosses of the Nets — people that have been working for weeks to come up with a deal to trade for him — I have land to sell you near the Everglades. Almost alligator free.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20