Jan 17, 2011, 4:18 AM EDT
Except, for the record, he doesn’t want to talk to anyone.
That’s what he said Sunday night, as reported by the Denver Post.
“I don’t want to talk to nobody,” Anthony said. “I let the front office handle that type of stuff. It ain’t my job to be talking to New Jersey, New York, Lakers, Dallas, no one. I still won’t step into something like that. I’ve seen a lot of people go through that.
“For me to sit here and say I want to talk to them or Masai (Ujiri, Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations) or Josh (Kronke, Nuggets team president) gave them permission to talk to me, I think that’s false. If that was the case I’m pretty sure I would have gotten a phone call from Masai or Josh about that.”
Not really. Because nobody wants to cross David Stern — or cross the formal lines of tampering — these kind of conversations all take place through intermediaries. It’s all through agents and friends. Firsthand doesn’t happen until the last minute.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov will be in the United States in the middle of this week. If you don’t think he and Nets minority owner Jay-Z will get a chance to pitch Anthony on the Nets then you don’t think everyone was drunk at the Golden Globes Sunday night. Which is to say, you are naïve.
Things are handled this way so that ‘Melo has plausible deniability. He may not actually know of what meetings he has ahead of him. But he will have the meetings and at the end of the day he still has the hammer — he has to sign a contract extension for the three-team deal to go through. He can decide not to go to New Jersey.
It may not happen immediately. He said he will be with the Nuggets through the end of this week. Still, expect it to happen soon.
But if you think he doesn’t have a meeting first with the bosses of the Nets — people that have been working for weeks to come up with a deal to trade for him — I have land to sell you near the Everglades. Almost alligator free.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 10
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9