Jan 15, 2011, 6:35 PM EST
I’ve had three family members go through cancer in the last few years. So the fear of an athlete when he goes to a doctor to find out if his season is over or not doesn’t exactly pull as much on my heartstrings as it used to. But just because it pales in comparison to the ailments that people go through every day doesn’t mean it’s not scary to find out if your career is teetering on the brink of conclusion due to your body gives out.
Like what Jermaine O’Neal goes through next week.
The Telegram and Gazzette out of Worcester, Massachusetts reports that O’Neal will seek a second opinion in New York on his knee, then decide whether to undergo what could be season-ending surgery. The big question is whether surgery will help him to get clear of the injury, or whether it is simply something to alleviate pain. If he won’t regain more use of his knee, he plans to play through the pain this season. O’Neal knows this may be his last shot at an NBA ring and doesn’t want to earn it from the bench.
Playing through pain is going to be difficult, obviously, but not just from the pain perspective. With Kendrick Perkins getting back and Shaquille O’Neal playing well, he may have a hard time getting minutes anyway. In the meantime, JO has also stated he wants to return to Indiana to finish his career.
So much of the Celtics’ future rests on health. So much potential, and so much fear.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 6
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 11
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13