Jan 14, 2011, 1:24 PM EDT
Wednesday night the Clippers had their coming out party, beating the Miami Heat at their own game — the Clippers were more athletic, they were the ones hitting threes, they were the ones carving up a defense with penetration.
Those Clippers are radically different from the ones that started the season 1-13. What happened?
While things like a healthy Baron Davis are part of that, it was more about better defining roles, then the players buying in to those roles and what new coach Vinny Del Negro was preaching, Ryan Gomes said.
“We simplified things a little bit more, offensively and defensively and we’ve been able to buy in, just buy in to what Coach Del Negro says on our schemes,” Gomes told ProBasketballTalk after beating the Heat. “That’s why we’ve been playing well of late. When the results show, sometimes players buy in a little more.
“In the beginning we were just like ‘oh, this ain’t working’ and we kind of gave in and gave up. Now you look at it, the last 10 games, what is it, 8-2 (7-3, actually), so we’ve been playing well…
“On defense, we simplified a little bit of our pick-and-roll. Offensively, I don’t want to say simplified, but everyone bought into their roles more. We know who our guys to go to is — Blake and Eric Gordon — and everyone has to read off of them, play off of them and shots will present themselves to us, (plus) offensive rebounding, transition. That’s why we’ve been scoring well and playing better defense.”
When asked what he had done to simplify the defense, Del Negro said that having a healthy Baron Davis paired in the back court with Eric Gordon — two guards that are roughly the same size — has given them options on matchups and how to attack pick-and-rolls. The Clippers also went with more zone at times against the Heat.
It’s working. The Clippers have dug too big a hole to make the playoffs this season (see that 1-13 start) but they have become a team that other NBA players tune in to see (the Blake Griffin factor) and fans are discovering as well. And in the end it was about teamwork more than anything.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 14
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13