Jan 14, 2011, 6:25 PM EST
Boris Diaw has never had much interest in being a “normal” NBA player. He’s 6-8, but came into the league as a point guard before finding his niche as a finesse forward. He’s as laid-back as they come, and his approach to conditioning has been somewhat inconsistent over the years. Rather than treat every game like a war that must be won, he treats basketball as an opportunity to make beautiful plays and the game as the means to living the life he wants. So it’s only natural that Diaw, who has cultivated one of the least athlete-like images of any player in the NBA, goes to the arena by using the goofiest-looking form of transport that man has ever created. Courtesy of the business insider’s Kevin Baumer:
Boris Diaw lives just a few blocks away from Time Warner Cable Arena and realized that driving his Audi SUV or Mercedes might be a little excessive for his short trip to work.
So this past fall Diaw picked up this Segway x2 which has a modest top speed of 12.5 mph.
“I always heard about the Segway, see the cops on them, and I thought it was a good idea, especially when it’s cold and don’t necessarily want to walk,” Diaw explained. “Because I had two cars…and I wanted to sell one anyway, I sold one and got a Segway instead.”
In so many ways, Diaw is a Segway: He plays like a future version of the power forward that never caught on, he moves gracefully but never goes too fast, and with $9 million coming to him this season and a player option for $9 million more next season, he carries a hefty price tag. Roll on, Boris, roll on.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13