Jan 14, 2011, 2:38 PM EDT
Last season, we all pretty much knew Chris Bosh was out of Toronto. He didn’t push for a trade and kept hinting he might re-sign, the Raptors in retrospect should have pushed him to sign and extension or get dealt, but they didn’t. Everyone just rode out the season.
So his situation was not exactly like the Carmelo Anthony situation, but there were similarities. I guess. Either way, he’s been watching the Carmelo Anthony situation unfold like the rest of us and when he spoke to the Denver Post he had advice for Masai Ujiri, the Nuggets GM who Bosh knew when both were with the Raptor organization.
“As soon as (it was announced Ujiri) was coming here, I said ‘Ooh. He’s got his hands full with all the rumors,’” Bosh said. “The rumors had started already before all that. It was just like ‘Aw man he’s going to have to deal with that and do a good job. But you know, Masai, he works hard and he’s a great guy. I think he’ll be fine….”
“Just communicate,” Bosh said. “It’s a business. Whether a move is made or not, just communicate. I think that’s important. And just keep the respect and at the end of the day nobody can say the other wasn’t professional if they part. Period. And I’m sure everyone will come to the best solution whether that’s staying here or moving on.”
There was plenty of speculation around Bosh last season — at every stop he got the “Can you picture yourself here with Team X?” question — and he said that a distraction like the Anthony trade rumors can wear on a team.
“It’s extremely hard,” Bosh said. “All you want to do as a player is think about what you’re supposed to do, think about your profession. And you can’t escape it. People are asking you every minute of everyday. Mentally, whether you know it or not that’s going to take a toll on you. You might be short on your shots, you might just be playing bad and don’t know why. You could be aware of it, you may not be. He’s been going through a lot right now. It may not be only the trade rumors. It could be other things. Things in your personal life can affect you, too. So, all you have to do is try your best and be a professional and try as hard as you can.”
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20