Jan 14, 2011, 12:49 PM EDT
This really should have been expected.
The Knicks are scrounging around trying to insert themselves back into the Carmelo Anthony trade talks. They started talking with the Memphis Grizzlies to come up with a trade package that might include O.J. Mayo.
And the Nets said “no thanks, not interested”, according to a tweet from Chris Broussard of ESPN. That would fit with the ongoing pattern of the Nuggets wanting nothing to do with dealing with New York. Broussard also said Mayo didn’t really like the idea of going to Denver — but he would love to be a Knick.
Knicks fans, let’s be honest. There is only one way ‘Melo is coming to the Knicks — he tells the Nets, Nuggets and his agents that New York is the only place he will go, and if a trade isn’t worked out he’ll do it via free agency.
That means he meets with Jay-Z and Mikhail Prokhorov and tells them no to their face. That means he tells his agents — who desperately want him to sign the extension so he doesn’t potentially leave tens of millions on the table under whatever the new Collective Bargaining Agreement will look like — that it is only the Knicks and to stop messing around with other scenarios. It is him telling all the teams that have spent weeks and countless hours putting together the Nets three-team trade he is not playing along.
Does that seem likely to you?
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona