Jan 13, 2011, 8:24 PM EDT
When Knicks GM Donnie Walsh told the New York Daily News:
“I don’t have anything going with Denver,” Walsh told The News Wednesday. “Nothing.”
That laughing you heard was people around the NBA, because nobody believed it.
With words like “stalled” used around the Nets efforts to get Carmelo Anthony (due not to the Nets but the Nuggets hesitation), the Knicks are still there. New York is still the place Carmelo Anthony wants to go, and the Knicks are still working on their options. Sure, maybe Walsh has plausible deniability built in, but everybody knows the Knicks are working hard to find a deal that Denver will listen to (since clearly Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari are chopped liver to the Nuggets brass). Deals such as trading Anthony Randolph for a first round pick.
Or getting in a third team such as Memphis involved, which ESPN’s Chris Broussard tweeted about:
Knicks have reached out to Memphis about sending OJ Mayo to DEN in 3-team deal that would send Carmelo Anthony to New York, sources say.
I’m fairly sure the Nuggets would still prefer some variation of the Nets offer, where they get Devin Harris and Derrick Favors and multiple first round picks. But the way the Nuggets have hesitated and tried to add to that deal, they may let the entire thing slide through their fingers.
If so, the Knicks are still there and working it.
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 5
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 9
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 6
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 3
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay