Jan 13, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Tuesday night, a reeling Denver Nuggets team blew out the Phoenix Suns (that loss would have gotten a lot more attention if the Cavs hadn’t been historically bad and LeBron hadn’t tweeted about it). That loss was the Suns eighth in their last 10 games.
Wednesday morning, Suns president Lon Babby went on his weekly radio segment (on KTAR-AM, 620) and apologized to Suns fans, then reiterated those statements later to the Arizona Republic.
“If you’re a fan that’s a season-ticket holder or someone who comes and invests in our franchise or if you’re vested emotionally, you have to be feeling what I’m feeling when I watched that game,” Babby said later Wednesday. “You have to be feeling what I’m feeling when I watched that game. You’re disappointed that we’re not competing. It would be wrong of me to sugarcoat that so I felt owed it to people to be candid.
“It’s not acceptable to us any more than it is to any of you….”
“I don’t think we’re playing up to the level of our talent,” said Babby, who said the difference in team chemistry is “stark because you’re comparing to what was last year, which was magical.”
Wednesday night the Suns picked up an overtime win against the New Jersey Nets.
But that was one game against a bad team. Suns fans, sorry to tell you this, but you need to get used to it — this is what the first phase of rebuilding looks like. Keeping Steve Nash can help mitigate the pain for a while, while trading him away soon can help speed up the rebuilding process. You can choose.
But the losing, that may be going on for a little bit.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games