Jan 13, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
Tuesday night, a reeling Denver Nuggets team blew out the Phoenix Suns (that loss would have gotten a lot more attention if the Cavs hadn’t been historically bad and LeBron hadn’t tweeted about it). That loss was the Suns eighth in their last 10 games.
Wednesday morning, Suns president Lon Babby went on his weekly radio segment (on KTAR-AM, 620) and apologized to Suns fans, then reiterated those statements later to the Arizona Republic.
“If you’re a fan that’s a season-ticket holder or someone who comes and invests in our franchise or if you’re vested emotionally, you have to be feeling what I’m feeling when I watched that game,” Babby said later Wednesday. “You have to be feeling what I’m feeling when I watched that game. You’re disappointed that we’re not competing. It would be wrong of me to sugarcoat that so I felt owed it to people to be candid.
“It’s not acceptable to us any more than it is to any of you….”
“I don’t think we’re playing up to the level of our talent,” said Babby, who said the difference in team chemistry is “stark because you’re comparing to what was last year, which was magical.”
Wednesday night the Suns picked up an overtime win against the New Jersey Nets.
But that was one game against a bad team. Suns fans, sorry to tell you this, but you need to get used to it — this is what the first phase of rebuilding looks like. Keeping Steve Nash can help mitigate the pain for a while, while trading him away soon can help speed up the rebuilding process. You can choose.
But the losing, that may be going on for a little bit.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 0
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 3
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 13
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 19
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7