Jan 13, 2011, 6:25 PM EST
[For what it’s worth], I’ve been told Spurs haven’t decided on Larry Owens for sure. It’s pretty likely, but not confirmed by anyone. Yet.
7:25 EST: Zabian Dowdell scored the honor of being the first D-League call-up of the season almost a week ago, but Larry Owens may not be far behind. According to Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, Owens could soon be called up by the San Antonio Spurs, making Owens the first call-up following the D-League Showcase.
San Antonio is among the most embedded NBA teams in terms of the D-League relations. They operate their very own D-League affiliate, the Austin Toros, and have been pretty creative in retaining talent in order to use the Toros as a true farm team. Owens himself isn’t a member of the Toros (he plays for the Thunder-affiliated Tulsa 66ers), but the Spurs clearly have an understanding of the value of the D-League as a resource and a player pool, and could be dipping in soon to offer Owens a 10-day contract.
Owens should fit right at home in San Antonio, tucked away in the corner to fire away from three-point range. He’s made 37.7% of his three-point attempts during his two-year D-League career, and an impressive 46.4% mark from long range during last season’s D-League playoffs (during which Owens led the 66ers all the way to the D-League Finals). On top of that, Owens is a solid positional rebounder and a long defender, making him a suitable complement for the Spurs’ array of talented players. Owens won’t play much if at all, but he certainly fits the San Antonio mold of the role-player-in-waiting, ready to step in and contribute at the first sign of injury trouble.
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 30
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 13
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28