Jan 13, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
As it seems with everything lately, it all comes back to what Carmelo Anthony wants. And nobody seems to really know what he will do.
If Anthony tells Denver it is “Knicks or bust” — killing the stalled big trade with the Nets — the Knicks can make a move to get a first round pick, something the Nuggets are demanding with any deal.
To get it, they would ship Anthony Randolph off to Minnesota, the New York Post reports. This is basically a confirmation of a long-standing rumor that this deal was in place, although the Post also reports Knicks GM Donnie Walsh isn’t convinced this is a good idea.
Randolph came to the Knicks this summer as part of the David Lee deal, and many — us included — thought he would blossom in the Mike D’Antoni system. Turns out, like Don Nelson before him, D’Antoni doesn’t really trust Randolph and he gets very little run.
Still there is a lot of potential, and the Wolves are a team in a place to give him minutes to see if he can turn all those gifts into reality. The Knicks could then try to turn that pick into ‘Melo and another superstar to play next to Amar’e Stoudemire.
But it all comes back to what Anthony wants. Whatever that is.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 40
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 39
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6