Jan 13, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
As it seems with everything lately, it all comes back to what Carmelo Anthony wants. And nobody seems to really know what he will do.
If Anthony tells Denver it is “Knicks or bust” — killing the stalled big trade with the Nets — the Knicks can make a move to get a first round pick, something the Nuggets are demanding with any deal.
To get it, they would ship Anthony Randolph off to Minnesota, the New York Post reports. This is basically a confirmation of a long-standing rumor that this deal was in place, although the Post also reports Knicks GM Donnie Walsh isn’t convinced this is a good idea.
Randolph came to the Knicks this summer as part of the David Lee deal, and many — us included — thought he would blossom in the Mike D’Antoni system. Turns out, like Don Nelson before him, D’Antoni doesn’t really trust Randolph and he gets very little run.
Still there is a lot of potential, and the Wolves are a team in a place to give him minutes to see if he can turn all those gifts into reality. The Knicks could then try to turn that pick into ‘Melo and another superstar to play next to Amar’e Stoudemire.
But it all comes back to what Anthony wants. Whatever that is.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29