Jan 13, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
As it seems with everything lately, it all comes back to what Carmelo Anthony wants. And nobody seems to really know what he will do.
If Anthony tells Denver it is “Knicks or bust” — killing the stalled big trade with the Nets — the Knicks can make a move to get a first round pick, something the Nuggets are demanding with any deal.
To get it, they would ship Anthony Randolph off to Minnesota, the New York Post reports. This is basically a confirmation of a long-standing rumor that this deal was in place, although the Post also reports Knicks GM Donnie Walsh isn’t convinced this is a good idea.
Randolph came to the Knicks this summer as part of the David Lee deal, and many — us included — thought he would blossom in the Mike D’Antoni system. Turns out, like Don Nelson before him, D’Antoni doesn’t really trust Randolph and he gets very little run.
Still there is a lot of potential, and the Wolves are a team in a place to give him minutes to see if he can turn all those gifts into reality. The Knicks could then try to turn that pick into ‘Melo and another superstar to play next to Amar’e Stoudemire.
But it all comes back to what Anthony wants. Whatever that is.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 10
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 28
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85