Jan 13, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
Antoine Walker schadenfreude is the internet’s unofficial pastime, which is reason enough to inform you that despite Walker’s relatively strong start with the D-League’s Idaho Stampede, he looked fairly incompetent during the two biggest games of his D-League career.
Concluding today is the D-League Showcase, which is, Essentially, a matter of convenience; rather than assuming that NBA teams are scouting the D-League full-time, they gather as many team officials, NBA scouts, and European scouts as possible in one gym (along with an NBA TV-viewing audience) and trot out teams from the D two at a time to strut their stuff. Now that NBA teams are able to sign players to 10-day contracts, the Showcase is a great tool to assist D-Leaguers in their call-up pursuits.
This year’s Showcase didn’t much help Walker, though, who is looking to resume his NBA career by playing through its minor league partner. Yet in Walker’s two games at the Showcase with the Idaho Stampede, he shot 4-of-26 from the field (15.4%), 2-of-10 from three-point range, and committed 12 turnovers. The D-League is stronger than ever, but those kinds of marks are hugely disappointing.
Plenty of NBA teams have dipped into the D-League for spot contributors, injury replacements, or hopeful additions, but Walker is in a different boat. He faces an uphill struggle for a call-up as it is; Walker has an established reputation in the NBA for being an out-of-shape ball-stopper with limited defensive ability, and this week he couldn’t even get the ball through the net. What is Walker going to offer an NBA team if not scoring? He’s not exactly a hustle player, nor the kind of veteran sage teams love to have in their locker rooms. Walker needs to make the most of all of his chances if he wants to really catch the attention of big league teams, and clanking away an opportunity like this one should serve as a setback.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 7
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50