Jan 12, 2011, 8:52 AM EDT
The New York Knicks and their fans have not given up hope that by March, Carmelo Anthony will be wearing the blue and orange, talking to Spike Lee during warmups and running the floor with Amar’e Stoudemire.
Stoudemire wants that too, and he read the quotes earlier this week when Anthony suggested the Knicks may not want him. So Stoudemire texted Anthony to let him know he is wanted on the island of Manhattan, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
The Knicks’ forward recently contacted Anthony via text message with a two-fold agenda: Make sure Anthony knows that Stoudemire himself wants Anthony at his side, and push Anthony to resist a proposed trade to the New Jersey Nets.
A report in TrueHoop earlier in the week said Anthony made his comment about the Knicks (“I don’t think they’re looking at me. They wouldn’t want me to come in there and mess what they have up.”) because he read a quote from Stoudemire saying he didn’t think they needed much more to get over the hump. If Stoudemire didn’t want him, Anthony wasn’t going to push for the Knicks. Which was good for the Nets as they continue to try and work out a complex trade to get Anthony.
But while the Nuggets management patiently tries to get more out of the Nets deal, if Anthony decides New York is only place he will sign a three-year, $65 million contract extension then the Nuggets will have done it all for nothing. The Nets don’t want him without the extension, and right now New Jersey has by far the best offer. Without the Nets the Nuggets would be forced to take what the Knicks offer (some decent role player but nobody with the upside of Derrick Favors) or deal with a team who doesn’t care about the extension, such as Dallas.
Nuggets officials are calling around looking at secondary deals (where they would trade Devin Harris when they got him from the Nets), a sign they really want the Nets deal. The Nuggets front office believes if they are patient the Nets will up their offer under the pressure, or that other teams will jump in to make it a better deal. They don’t feel the pressure of a deadline to act.
But it also is possible all the sands of this deal could just run through their fingers, too.
Especially if Anthony listens to Stoudemire.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10