Jan 12, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:32 pm: Here is what we know for sure — Allen Iverson suffered an ankle injury in Turkey severe enough to have the team get him an MRI. The official statement from the team said they will consider their options when they see the results.
If the results are bad, the report below that he may hang up his sneakers could well be accurate. But we have little official information.
The translation comes via Hoopsworld:
Turkish Besiktas famous import, Allen Iverson, appears close to end his career in basketball. The former Philadelphia Sixers’ guard injured his left ankle recently and can’t stand the pain anymore. Later today, he will do a press conference to announce that he is going to have surgery in the United States and will be treated here.
“Leaving the basketball world makes me sad but, sometimes, we have to accept things like they are. I can say goodbye to basketball,” he revealed yesterday.
Iverson went to Turkey this season after no NBA team offered him a contract for the season.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 21
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 70
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8