Jan 12, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:32 pm: Here is what we know for sure — Allen Iverson suffered an ankle injury in Turkey severe enough to have the team get him an MRI. The official statement from the team said they will consider their options when they see the results.
If the results are bad, the report below that he may hang up his sneakers could well be accurate. But we have little official information.
The translation comes via Hoopsworld:
Turkish Besiktas famous import, Allen Iverson, appears close to end his career in basketball. The former Philadelphia Sixers’ guard injured his left ankle recently and can’t stand the pain anymore. Later today, he will do a press conference to announce that he is going to have surgery in the United States and will be treated here.
“Leaving the basketball world makes me sad but, sometimes, we have to accept things like they are. I can say goodbye to basketball,” he revealed yesterday.
Iverson went to Turkey this season after no NBA team offered him a contract for the season.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 11
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9