Jan 12, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:32 pm: Here is what we know for sure — Allen Iverson suffered an ankle injury in Turkey severe enough to have the team get him an MRI. The official statement from the team said they will consider their options when they see the results.
If the results are bad, the report below that he may hang up his sneakers could well be accurate. But we have little official information.
The translation comes via Hoopsworld:
Turkish Besiktas famous import, Allen Iverson, appears close to end his career in basketball. The former Philadelphia Sixers’ guard injured his left ankle recently and can’t stand the pain anymore. Later today, he will do a press conference to announce that he is going to have surgery in the United States and will be treated here.
“Leaving the basketball world makes me sad but, sometimes, we have to accept things like they are. I can say goodbye to basketball,” he revealed yesterday.
Iverson went to Turkey this season after no NBA team offered him a contract for the season.
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 0
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 44
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 43