LeBron says nothing personal in tweet about Cleveland

Jan 12, 2011, 9:54 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Remember last night, after the Cavaliers Poseidon Adventure-level disaster against the Lakers in a 55-point loss, LeBron let out what seemed a pretty personal shot via twitter?

Crazy. Karma is a b****.. Gets you every time. Its not good to wish bad on anybody. God sees everything!

Well, before tonight’s game against the Clippers James said there was nothing personal about it at all. What were you thinking? He was just passing along some tweet Karma someone had sent him.

“It was just how I was feeling at the time. It wasn’t even a comment from me, it was someone who sent it to me and I sent it out,” James said…

“It wasn’t no hit at that franchise, no hit at that team, especially those players at all. I’ve moved on…. I don’t think it was no intent at all. Everyone looks into everything that I say. Everybody looked too far into it.”

You’ve moved on? That wasn’t personal or a hit on the organization? Looked to me like there was more enjoyment/revenge/schadenfreude in that tweet than there was in the movie Inglorious Basterds.

Believe him if you want, he also said that during free agency he was “intrigued” by the Clippers.

But that’s just my take, don’t look at it too far, there was no intent at all.

1. thestudiokida - Jan 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Schadenfreude indeed!

• lebronsinsecurity - Jan 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM

HaHaHa!! Good one!

2. deiong - Jan 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM

umm does he really talk that badly?? r was it typos from the editor?

• hnirobert3 - Jan 13, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Probably a little of both, considering LBJ and Helin’s track records.

• Kurt Helin - Jan 13, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Deiong, those are the direct quotes taken off the audio tape of his comments.

3. cup0pizza - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:10 AM

This chump gets more disingenuous by the minute.

4. tubal22 - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:55 AM

I bet the heat and NBA folks start sweating anytime he gets in front of a camera. The bad thing is, his handlers are more stupid than he is.

All that talent, and not much going on upstairs. Just imagine what could have been.

• petermcd88 - Jan 13, 2011 at 2:52 AM

I have more of an issue with the back tracking comments from Lebron then I have with the original comments themselves. With the contraction comment, he obviously knew what he was talking about. He specifically talked about eliminating teams and adding players from those teams to other teams. The tweet was clearly a reference to Dan Gilbert’s letter. Instead of rationally defending his position he always falls back to the, “Come on yall I jus a basketball player, I dumbs and ain’t go to college” excuse. If he were still the “Golden boy” beloved by all that would be a smart business decision. But now so many people dislike him what is the point of dumbing yourself down? You aren’t winning people over for backtracking, they just think you are an idiot in addition to saying it in the first place. Instead of saying he doesn’t know what contraction is, why not say “I just think that a team that historically loses or can not consistently fill an arena every night should be eliminated for competitive and financial reasons”. Instead of not owning up to a tweet ( that was actually pretty poignant until he said the God thing), why not say, ” I absolutely meant no disrespect to the players in Cleveland, I was referring to the letter written by Dan Gilbert. I will never forget what he said about me and I think he is getting what he deserves right now”

5. metalhead65 - Jan 13, 2011 at 3:36 AM

will this guy ever learn?look moron if you are going to embrace the role of the villian then stop being a wuss and trying back off what you say. how about being a man and say yea I said that and if you don’t like it to bad that’s how I feel. you can’t have it both ways!

• silencegooddoer - Jan 13, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Good point about the both ways. He says above that ” Everyone looks into everything that I say.” That is because you live in the media! Not everyone speaks through full length commercials, movies, PR departments, and twitter. This IS what you wanted isn’t it? Or do want everyone to ignore everything you do and say and just patronize your brands and products to make you richer? You know, your entitled to that, right? Just like you are entitled to a championship! The NBA and all its fans owe you.

6. lebronsinsecurity - Jan 13, 2011 at 11:12 AM

All the Heat fans hammered me yesterday when I mentioned Lebron having a insecurity problem..How is him back tracking on his comments not insecure?? If he didn’t care what people thought about him he wouldn’t retract everything he says that gets people so bent out of shape.. Dan Gilbert acted like a child, if Lebron was individually calling Gilbert out, then so be it.. Gilbert said worse.. Just stick to your convictions once in awhile, that’s really it.. I think petermcd88 summed it up pretty well.. And no, I’m not a Cavs fan.. I didn’t jump on the “hate the Heat” bandwagon.. I’m simply a basketball fan who is trying to understand why he’s taking the direction he is.. It’s too bad, he could have been so universally appreciated…

7. lolatraidersfans - Jan 13, 2011 at 1:25 PM

No dig at the franchise, team or players? No intent behind it? He took a swipe at them when they were down. It is exactly what it looks like and it comes across exactly as a slap in the face. I’m amazed this guy can so quickly and effortlessly construct alternate realities in his mind so quickly that he truely believes. That is indeed talent.

8. jimmythegreeksghost - Jan 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM

(Please read in an Italian New York accent)

Karma? You mean like the twist in your step (ankle), you got in the Clippa’s game?

Or maybe you mean like how you are so self righteous, and simultaneously read at a 9th grade level (we all noticed it, shut yer face)? No. Sorry, my bad, that would be irony.

Karma. Oh, I know what you meant. You meant like how those waves in your hair are lookin’ like a beach at low tide these days. LeBald, invest in Rogain before Nike drops you, and you end up their spokesman. No offense, but you’re lookin’ more like Karl Malone than MJ these days. Except you ain’t the Mailman, you da Failman. Where’s your ring King? I’m waitin’…

Holla back at me when some city builds a statue of you, all by YOURSELF. Not next to Neil and Bob, but all by yourself (you know as well as I do, that ain’t gonna happen LeBeyaaaaaatch).

Tweet and reTweet that (I swear I just copied and pasted it…who was dumb enough to buy that?).

9. browniebuck - Jan 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM

How many different sides of his mouth does he have?
    Karma’s a B%&$*
    It wasn’t even me that said that.
    It is what I was thinking at the time.
    It wasn’t directed towards “that” team.

If you say something, jacka55, stick to it. Otherwise, JUST DON’T TALK!!! Perhaps, your “people” should consider having your tongue cut off, give you a computer/keypad in arabic, and/or just tell everyone in the media that everything that comes out of your mouth is complete 100% bull5hit!

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches