Jan 12, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
While Denver hesitates — or is smart and patient, depending on how you wish to spin it — the proposed massive trade with the New Jersey Nets sits, stalled. At least that’s how it appears with the key parties now all using the Cone of Silence to keep the negotiations private.
Even if all the parties hammer it out, it’s a deal that Carmelo Anthony may not want.
And the New York Knicks are sitting there, waiting to be tagged into the ring for their chance. Amar’e Stoudemire is texting Anthony about how they can be BFFs, Alan Hahn at Newsday is reporting the Knicks are getting an offer together, and Frank Isola at the Daily News has sources saying the Knicks and Nuggets have been talking and New York thinks it has a good chance to end up with the big prize.
A person familiar with the negotiations told the Daily News that talks between the Nuggets and Knicks are ongoing and classified the possibility of a deal with New York at “50-50.”
“He’d like to play in New York,” said the source, who requested anonymity. “But I don’t see anything happening soon.”
A Knicks deal for Anthony would first involve New York trading someone on the roster for a first round pick (the Knicks can’t trade one of their own until 2014, thank you very much Isiah). Then that pick would be packaged with the expiring contract of Eddy Curry as well as some combination of Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari and Landry Fields.
Zach Lowe at Sports Illustrated asks a good question: Is that offer really much worse than what the Nets are offering?
The Nuggets like the Nets offer of Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and a couple of first round picks more. Favors certainly is the guy who potentially could be the best of anyone the Nuggets are talking about (ESPN’s David Thorpe thinks Stoudemire is a potential comparison). But until they pull the trigger on that deal — and Anthony signs off on it with an extend-and-trade — there is nothing real.
And as long as there is nothing real, the Knicks are in play.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13