Jan 12, 2011, 11:03 PM EDT
This was the week that Kevin Garnett was expected back from the calf injury that sidelined him two weeks ago. But we all know the overly-cautious MO of the Celtics when it comes to injuries in the regular season, so we should have expected it might take longer.
Along those lines, Garnett did not suit up Wednesday when the Celtics took on the Kings, and don’t expect to see him Friday either Doc Rivers said (as reported by ESPNBoston).
“My conversation with [team trainer] Eddie [Lacerte] was, ‘Is he ready to go?’ And he said: ‘Well, if it was a playoff game then yes, but I think we should hold him out for a couple more days,” Rivers said. As for Friday’s game, Rivers added, “It will really depend on what we do [Thursday]. My guess is no, because after that we have two days off, and my thinking right now is, unless he comes out and practices the whole practice and looks great, it’s probably off Friday. Then what do we play Monday? I can’t guarantee that, but that’s my thinking.”
Boston had lost their last two without Garnett but the Kings are a good cure for that and the Celtics won (and held the Kings to just a 96 points per 100 possessions pace, which means the defense was back for a night). Next up on Friday is the offensively-challenged Bobcats.
Monday is a showdown with the new-look Magic. You can bet KG will be back for that one.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 4
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 27
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31