Jan 12, 2011, 11:03 PM EDT
This was the week that Kevin Garnett was expected back from the calf injury that sidelined him two weeks ago. But we all know the overly-cautious MO of the Celtics when it comes to injuries in the regular season, so we should have expected it might take longer.
Along those lines, Garnett did not suit up Wednesday when the Celtics took on the Kings, and don’t expect to see him Friday either Doc Rivers said (as reported by ESPNBoston).
“My conversation with [team trainer] Eddie [Lacerte] was, ‘Is he ready to go?’ And he said: ‘Well, if it was a playoff game then yes, but I think we should hold him out for a couple more days,” Rivers said. As for Friday’s game, Rivers added, “It will really depend on what we do [Thursday]. My guess is no, because after that we have two days off, and my thinking right now is, unless he comes out and practices the whole practice and looks great, it’s probably off Friday. Then what do we play Monday? I can’t guarantee that, but that’s my thinking.”
Boston had lost their last two without Garnett but the Kings are a good cure for that and the Celtics won (and held the Kings to just a 96 points per 100 possessions pace, which means the defense was back for a night). Next up on Friday is the offensively-challenged Bobcats.
Monday is a showdown with the new-look Magic. You can bet KG will be back for that one.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 16
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 3
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 55
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6