Jan 12, 2011, 11:03 PM EDT
This was the week that Kevin Garnett was expected back from the calf injury that sidelined him two weeks ago. But we all know the overly-cautious MO of the Celtics when it comes to injuries in the regular season, so we should have expected it might take longer.
Along those lines, Garnett did not suit up Wednesday when the Celtics took on the Kings, and don’t expect to see him Friday either Doc Rivers said (as reported by ESPNBoston).
“My conversation with [team trainer] Eddie [Lacerte] was, ‘Is he ready to go?’ And he said: ‘Well, if it was a playoff game then yes, but I think we should hold him out for a couple more days,” Rivers said. As for Friday’s game, Rivers added, “It will really depend on what we do [Thursday]. My guess is no, because after that we have two days off, and my thinking right now is, unless he comes out and practices the whole practice and looks great, it’s probably off Friday. Then what do we play Monday? I can’t guarantee that, but that’s my thinking.”
Boston had lost their last two without Garnett but the Kings are a good cure for that and the Celtics won (and held the Kings to just a 96 points per 100 possessions pace, which means the defense was back for a night). Next up on Friday is the offensively-challenged Bobcats.
Monday is a showdown with the new-look Magic. You can bet KG will be back for that one.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 5
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5