Jan 12, 2011, 11:03 PM EDT
This was the week that Kevin Garnett was expected back from the calf injury that sidelined him two weeks ago. But we all know the overly-cautious MO of the Celtics when it comes to injuries in the regular season, so we should have expected it might take longer.
Along those lines, Garnett did not suit up Wednesday when the Celtics took on the Kings, and don’t expect to see him Friday either Doc Rivers said (as reported by ESPNBoston).
“My conversation with [team trainer] Eddie [Lacerte] was, ‘Is he ready to go?’ And he said: ‘Well, if it was a playoff game then yes, but I think we should hold him out for a couple more days,” Rivers said. As for Friday’s game, Rivers added, “It will really depend on what we do [Thursday]. My guess is no, because after that we have two days off, and my thinking right now is, unless he comes out and practices the whole practice and looks great, it’s probably off Friday. Then what do we play Monday? I can’t guarantee that, but that’s my thinking.”
Boston had lost their last two without Garnett but the Kings are a good cure for that and the Celtics won (and held the Kings to just a 96 points per 100 possessions pace, which means the defense was back for a night). Next up on Friday is the offensively-challenged Bobcats.
Monday is a showdown with the new-look Magic. You can bet KG will be back for that one.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 44
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42