Jan 12, 2011, 6:43 PM EDT
Allen Iverson is coming back to the United States — but not to retire as a Turkish news service had reported earlier.
An MRI has found a very painful lesion on Iverson’s ankle and he is returning from Istanbul, Turkey, where he had been playing to the United States for surgery and medical care, his manager told the Associated Press.
“It has to be removed and tested to see if it’s benign or not,” said Iverson’s manager, Gary Moore. “Once that’s removed, Allen is going to look to rehabilitate his leg because the doctors tell him he’ll be out four to six weeks, he’s hoping to be able to play in the [Turkish league] playoffs.”
There is no date for the surgery other than “soon.”
Clearly, whether or not Iverson can return to play will depend on what the doctors find.
If he retires he would have to forfeit the remainder of his two-year, $4 million salary (amid reports he is broke, something he has strongly denied). This has potential to be much more serious than just about a basketball career, we hope for the best for Iverson and that he is back for the playoffs in Turkey.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay