Jan 12, 2011, 12:52 PM EDT
It’s the time of year when a young fan’s fancy turns to trades… but coach Erik Spoelstra says Heat fans shouldn’t bother.
Sounding like a guy whose team has won 21 of 22, Spoelstra said the Heat don’t need to make any trades right now, according to Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
“(Pat Riley) asks me all the time, and that’s what I say. I feel like we have enough and I really would like to see what this looks like, anyway, with a healthy Mike Miller,” Spoelstra said.
“Trying to add another two or three players, that always becomes more of a challenge. And so it is easier for me when we’re focusing on just who we have and it’s been a good group.”
The question of additions is not for now, but for down the line when they could have to deal with Dwight Howard or the long front lines of Boston and Los Angeles in the playoffs. (Lakers, we should add, although the Heat get to see the athletic Clippers front line Wednesday night.) The remaining questions about this Heat team cannot be answered until the playoffs.
Not that the Heat can really make trades. They are over the cap and outside of the obvious three they are not giving up, only Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem would have real trade value on the market. And the Heat aren’t moving them, either.
Despite that, it’s hard not to appreciate Spoelstra’s point. It took this team a couple months to really blend and start to play defense together. To bring in a host of new players is to reset that clock. The Heat may be better dancing with this band this season and making the necessary moves this summer.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49