Jan 12, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
So far this season the Milwaukee Bucks have been without key players — such as Andrew Bogut — for 77 man-games due to injury, including 56 to what would be their starting five in an ideal, bubble-wrapped, injury free world.
The Rockets are right on their tail with 59 games lost and 51 for starters — and with Yao Ming out they will keep piling up the numbers all season.
Those are your leaders for most injured team this season. The blog BrewHoop did the number crunching to figure out the games lost to injuries for every team in the NBA. The important thing is they used only key players — guys who average 15 minutes or more (or should if healthy).
What does that mean? Well, Hornets fans, before you go blame this season’s performance on injuries, go check the numbers. They have been the least injured team in the NBA. Other teams on the low end of the scale include the Pacers (13 games total, 7 for starters), Knicks (16 and 6) and Pistons (16 and 14).
The BrewHoop post also notes that while the Lakers (25 games missed) and Spurs (40 missed, but none by regular starters) have higher numbers, it is almost entirely because of one player — Andrew Bynum for the Lakers and James Anderson for the Spurs.
What Bucks fans should take away from this is that for the first 35 games their team has played the toughest schedule in the league while injured more than any team in the league. Both of those things are changing at the same time — and so might the Buck’s fortunes.
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 0
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 50
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 56
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 17
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46