Jan 11, 2011, 6:54 PM EDT
Would you think that George Karl, who will turn 60 next season after 22 years of NBA coaching, might not want to take on a rebuilding project.
With it becoming apparent the Nuggets most likely will be entering a rebuilding mode, sources said Tuesday the team is committed to bringing George Karl back as coach next season and Karl is committed to staying.
The Nuggets and Karl, whose contract expires at the end of the season, have been working on an extension, most likely a deal for three years, since early December. The sides have agreed that the future makeup of the team will not be an issue, and that a deal will get done.
Next year will be shift in the organization, as Karl will go from trying to hone a team for a run deep in the playoffs to teaching young players — very possibly Derrick Favors — how to win at the NBA level.
But Karl has seemed to have a renewed joy of the game and coaching this season, after returning from throat cancer last year. For people who love to coach it’s about the teaching, and he will get to do a lot more of that. Although, the losing that will come with it will weigh on him.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte