Players poll picks Lakers to win championship. Again.

Jan 11, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kobe Bryant has ongoing knee issues. Pau Gasol has seemed slow in his decision making. Matt Barnes is having major knee surgery. Derek Fisher has looked old and Steve Blake has lost his shot. Ron Artest is, well, Ron Artest.

This year’s Lakers don’t seem as intimidating as past seasons. But ask NBA players who they think will win the title and they still pick a Lakers three-peat.

Sports Illustrated annually polls NBA players and among the questions is who do players who will win the NBA title — 69 percent said the Lakers this season, as reported by Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.

Second place went to the Celtics (22 percent), followed by the Heat (3 percent), Magic (2 percent) and Spurs (1 percent).

Good thing this is an anonymous poll or you’d all be on LeBron James’ list.

1. m3ghann - Jan 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Shocker. The NBA is rigged and the only two teams that bring ratings in the finals are the Lakers and the Celtics. No one in this poll is intuitive, they’ve just watched David Stern’s era of the NBA for too long.

2. sknut - Jan 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I am not a Heat fan but only 3 percent, even I as a schmuck give them a much better chance than the players.

3. hnirobert3 - Jan 11, 2011 at 4:21 PM

You’d imagine that this was taken in early December, before the Heat went on their run (20 wins out of 21 games).

4. thestudiokida - Jan 11, 2011 at 4:29 PM

I wish these were Vegas odds… I’ll lay a couple G’s on the Heat & Spurs.

5. progress2011 - Jan 12, 2011 at 9:48 PM

The players know ( whether fans choose to believe it or not ) there is A LOT of politics in sports. The political motivation is based on the ” all mighty dollar “…..SURPRISE !!!

I mean really, if I was the owner of a business and research proved that I can make a Billion dollar profit by working in L.A. or make a few Million by doing the same exact work in Memphis….guess what……I’M WORKING IN L.A.

I wouldn’t care what my priest had to say, my wife or my momma…….it would be L.A. or Bust ! Fans are so naive to believe that the NBA and team owners have not ran the numbers. They all benefit in the long run, even the sorry teams because the NBA brand becomes more solvent.

Don’t blame me, stern, dubya or anybody else…….it’s called CAPITALISM !!!

Handing out NBA's postseason awards