Jan 11, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Can you snow out a basketball game?
Apparently it might happen in Atlanta, a city that usually gets a dusting of snow each winter but has been hit with a legitimate blizzard the last 24 hours. That has led the Hawks to consider postponing their scheduled game Tuesday night against the Milwaukee Bucks, according to the Associated Press. No final decision has been made.
The snow and icy roads are making travel difficult in the city and there are questions about how many staff and fans could make it to the game, and if it is safe to put more people out in these conditions. The NHL’s Atlanta Thrashers called off their practice Tuesday due to the weather conditions (the Falcons did practice, but it’s the playoffs).
Last night the Charlotte Bobcats hosted the Memphis Grizzlies despite heavy snow in that Southern city. Only about 1,000 people were in attendance and the upper sections of the arena were blacked out, with all fans invited down to the lower bowl area.
Atlanta is scheduled to fly out of the city Tuesday night after the game to go to Toronto — a city where a little snow is not going to stop a game.
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 4
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 19
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 12
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 31
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25