Jan 11, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Can you snow out a basketball game?
Apparently it might happen in Atlanta, a city that usually gets a dusting of snow each winter but has been hit with a legitimate blizzard the last 24 hours. That has led the Hawks to consider postponing their scheduled game Tuesday night against the Milwaukee Bucks, according to the Associated Press. No final decision has been made.
The snow and icy roads are making travel difficult in the city and there are questions about how many staff and fans could make it to the game, and if it is safe to put more people out in these conditions. The NHL’s Atlanta Thrashers called off their practice Tuesday due to the weather conditions (the Falcons did practice, but it’s the playoffs).
Last night the Charlotte Bobcats hosted the Memphis Grizzlies despite heavy snow in that Southern city. Only about 1,000 people were in attendance and the upper sections of the arena were blacked out, with all fans invited down to the lower bowl area.
Atlanta is scheduled to fly out of the city Tuesday night after the game to go to Toronto — a city where a little snow is not going to stop a game.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 20
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16