Jan 11, 2011, 2:27 AM EST
What you missed while watching a national championship game that lived up to the hype…
Rockets 108, Celtics 102: There are some fighters — whether boxing or MMA — that you just never look good fighting. It’s clenching and grappling and just no flow, and it takes you out of your game. That is what the Houston Rockets do to you. They are a scrappy team that just makes you work for everything. It’s never pretty. It’s never easy beating them.
Without Kevin Garnett, the Celtics are not the same defensive team, as evidenced by giving up 124.1 points per 100 possessions to the Rockets. It was not what you expect of Boston. But credit Houston for spreading the rock around — Aaron Books had 24 but it was about balance as seven Rockets scored in double digits.
Bobcats 96, Grizzlies 82: A snowstorm had pretty much shut down Charlotte (the city), which meant only about 1,000 people showed up to see this one. That smattering of people saw a Bobcats team without Gerald Wallace get 27 out of Stephen Jackson and 18 out of D.J Augustin, who has started to blossom under Paul Silas. Charlotte is 5-2 under Silas (or since Larry Brown got fired) but the schedule is about to get tougher.
Bulls 95, Pistons 82: It’s good to have stars — Carlos Boozer and Derrick Rose were the two best players on the court and they decided this game. Boozer had 27 on 12-17 shooting, Rose had 29 on 10-20 shooting. The Bulls defense held the Pistons to 38 percent shooting.
On a bright note for Detroit, Greg Monroe is showing some of that promise he was drafted for, finishing with 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28