Jan 11, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Another sign that the Carmelo Anthony trade is not on the fast track…
Starting Wednesday night the Nets head out on one of those grueling four-games-in-six-days road trips to the West Coast. Johnson said his roster likely will not be shaken up during the trip.
“This is the team that will be playing on the whole road trip,” Johnson said.
Johnson backed off the comment when asked if that meant a potential trade was on hold.
“I don’t make guarantees,” he said. “That’s not my job. I don’t make guarantees. No. I don’t even know if I was that good when I was in the media at making predictions. I had a few right, and the few that I got right I let everybody know about them consistently. But the other ones that I didn’t get right, we don’t talk about those. The point is, we’re going to have this team throughout the road trip…”
“I know what’s going on behind the scenes,” Johnson said. “So, just because somebody else reports something, I know what the truth is.”
Part of that is standard coach-speak — “we play with the guys we’ve got” — but there is some logic to it as well.
If at all possible, the Nets would want to hold of on any trade until the end of the trip (and they have been the ones pushing for a speedy resolution). Half the Nets roster would be moved in the deal as proposed and when traded players have 48 hours to report to their new team and pass a physical — which means on a road trip the Nets could have a game or two where they had barely enough players to field a team.
The core of the proposed trade would send Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton to New Jersey; bring Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow, plus other players and picks to Denver; and Troy Murphy and Johan Petro would go to Detroit along with picks. There are a lot more players and moving parts here, with as many as 15 players involved. The sticking point is Al Harrington and his contract — the Nuggets want to dump it and nobody wants to take it.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65