Jan 11, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Another sign that the Carmelo Anthony trade is not on the fast track…
Starting Wednesday night the Nets head out on one of those grueling four-games-in-six-days road trips to the West Coast. Johnson said his roster likely will not be shaken up during the trip.
“This is the team that will be playing on the whole road trip,” Johnson said.
Johnson backed off the comment when asked if that meant a potential trade was on hold.
“I don’t make guarantees,” he said. “That’s not my job. I don’t make guarantees. No. I don’t even know if I was that good when I was in the media at making predictions. I had a few right, and the few that I got right I let everybody know about them consistently. But the other ones that I didn’t get right, we don’t talk about those. The point is, we’re going to have this team throughout the road trip…”
“I know what’s going on behind the scenes,” Johnson said. “So, just because somebody else reports something, I know what the truth is.”
Part of that is standard coach-speak — “we play with the guys we’ve got” — but there is some logic to it as well.
If at all possible, the Nets would want to hold of on any trade until the end of the trip (and they have been the ones pushing for a speedy resolution). Half the Nets roster would be moved in the deal as proposed and when traded players have 48 hours to report to their new team and pass a physical — which means on a road trip the Nets could have a game or two where they had barely enough players to field a team.
The core of the proposed trade would send Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton to New Jersey; bring Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow, plus other players and picks to Denver; and Troy Murphy and Johan Petro would go to Detroit along with picks. There are a lot more players and moving parts here, with as many as 15 players involved. The sticking point is Al Harrington and his contract — the Nuggets want to dump it and nobody wants to take it.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47