Jan 11, 2011, 9:04 AM EST
That doesn’t mean he wants to be traded.
Billups, a Denver native, has said he wants to finish his career as a Nugget and maybe move into the front office. However, he is part of the package of players that would go to New Jersey in a Carmelo Anthony deal. And Anthony said he feels bad about that.
“The whole Chauncey situation, for me to see him in all of that speculation, it’s kind of hard for me to see him involved with that knowing what they did to get him here in Denver, knowing that this is his home, knowing that he represents the city of Denver,” Anthony said. “For him to be finally settled in, looking forward to retiring, to see him in all the stuff going on right now, I feel bad about it. But I guess that’s the business of basketball.”
Anthony and his agent have pushed to make sure more talent goes with him if he heads to New Jersey, Billups is part of that talent (and if the Nuggets are rebuilding they would want to shed Billups salary and turn the team over to Ty Lawson).
Billups has little leverage. While his agent has talked of a buyout, his contract is locked in through the summer of 2012. If anything, an extension is more likely, although if the Nets are serious about a run at Chris Paul that year they likely would not extend the then 35-year-old Billups.
That’s the business of basketball. Doesn’t mean it’s fun for all the players caught up in it.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 10
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44