Jan 10, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
UPDATE 12:53 pm: Here is the latest, from multiple reports, at this time on the still pending Carmelo Anthony trade:
Everything seems to be in Denver’s court, but they continue to tweak offers and try to work out the best deal — they have even pushed the Nets to take on Renaldo Balkman in addition to Al Harrington. Which is the kind of dump of toxic assets the banks did on the government. The Nets, for obvious reasons, not really going for that.
The Pistons are going to get second round picks to go with Troy Murphy (expiring deal) and Johan Petro (they will be stuck with him).
Chauncey Billups is not taking part in Monday’s light practice in Denver, but Anthony and the other people in the trade are.
And can the Nets, having gone this far down the path, really back away from the deal? They are (and their fans are) emotionally invested. Hard to back away once that happens.
10:26 am: This summer, when the Nuggets realized that Chris Anderson and Kenyon Martin would miss the first part of the season, the Nuggets went after Al Harrington to bolster their front line. They got into a little bidding war with the Mavericks and ended up winning it with a five-year, $33 million deal.
Now that contract is standing in the way of a Carmelo Anthony trade, according to Chris Broussard of ESPN on twitter (he tends to be more accurate than a lot of the sharks in the trade rumor waters).
Holdup to NJ-Den-Det trade is that Den wants NJ to take Al Harrington. NJ doesn’t want to b/c Al has 4 yrs, $28 mill left on deal.
Technically, the last two years of that deal are not fully guaranteed (he can be bought out for 50 percent), so think of it as two years, $20 million. Still, nobody really wants that deal. Which is probably why he has been in and out of the rumored variations of this deal.
The proposed trade has Anthony, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton going to the Nets; while Denver would get Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Anthony Morrow, two first round picks, and maybe or maybe not Harrington. Detroit would give up Hamilton, who is owed $12.5 million next season, to take on the expiring deal of Troy Murphy this season. There are other picks and parts, but that is the core of the deal.
Harrington was not in the versions of the trade circulating late last night, but Denver seems to have thrown him back in the mix. Which fits with reports that they continually tweak the deal and seem hesitant to pull the trigger. Of course, they can do that so long as New Jersey’s offer is on the table. Nobody has put real pressure on them to make up their minds. Some other thoughts from Broussard.
NJ could try to recruit s 4th team to take Harrington, but their hope is that Den eliminates Harrington request.
NJ will give Detroit a draft pick for taking Petro, not determined whether 1st or 2nd rounder yet.
Billups won’t hold up deal, but sources just told me he will either want a buyout after season or a long-term commitment (extension) from NJ.
Personally, to take on the Johan Petro contract, you’d have to give me a first rounder.
Anthony himself said he didn’t think this trade was about to happen. There are a lot of moving parts, a lot of teams (and players and agents) involved, things never move fast because of that.
So we wait.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 21
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 18
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1