Jan 10, 2011, 5:54 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks have signed former Cavaliers and Timberwolves swingman Sasha Pavlovic to a 10-day contract. The 27-year old Pavlovic was a crucial part of the Cavaliers’ starting lineup when the team went to the finals in 2007, but he missed the first part of the 07-08 season due to a contract dispute and his career never really got back on track.
Pavlovic is a surprisingly good athlete and defender with three-point range, but he is prone to making poor decisions when he puts the ball on the floor and turning it over and losing confidence in his outside shot. Pavlovic has all the physical tools to be an NBA rotation player, but he’s never quite been consistent enough — for example, there’s no real reason why a player who shot 41% from beyond the arc in the 08-09 season would make 10 of his 26 free-throw attempts (38.5%) in 71 games with the Timberwolves last season. It seems extremely unlikely that Pavlovic will parlay this 10-day contract into any sort of significant role with the Mavericks, but there’s always hope — after all, DeShawn Stevenson‘s career looked all but over before this season began.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)