Jan 10, 2011, 9:09 PM EDT
On the off chance you haven’t caught some of the Idaho Stampede of the D-League this season — what cave have you been living in? — we have a little note for you:
Antoine Walker is playing pretty well. He is averaging 17.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4 assists per game.
Dime Magazine has a Q&A with Greg Minor, a former teammate of Walker in Boston who is now an assistant coach for Idaho. He says that the maturity of Walker — both of person and game — makes him stand out at the D-League level.
In terms of his personality, he’s been through a lot. I don’t want to discuss those experiences, but they have helped shape him in a way that has him appreciate life more. Everyone here in the Idaho Stampede family really support him.
I think the most important thing about his game at this level is that his basketball IQ is just so much higher. After 13 seasons in the NBA, a former NBA All-Star, there’s some value in that. I think he still passes the ball really great, and he can get to certain spots on the floor. He’s a presence in the locker room as players gravitate towards him. He’s made it clear that he’s no different that anybody else, and there’s no one different than the team. He’s made guys buy into the want to get to that next level, and guys really respect that.
But can Walker get back to the NBA?
That’s up to him. The amount of time that he puts in, the amount of energy he expends, I think he’s determined. Who wouldn’t want to excel at this level to get a chance to be called up at this stage of his career? He knows the window is closing, and there’s a sense of urgency.
It’s a long shot, NBA teams are going to want real value out of Walker to bring him in as opposed to a young player they might be able to develop. But if his conditioning gets there, this is about all you can ask of him. It would be interesting.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31