Jan 10, 2011, 9:09 PM EDT
On the off chance you haven’t caught some of the Idaho Stampede of the D-League this season — what cave have you been living in? — we have a little note for you:
Antoine Walker is playing pretty well. He is averaging 17.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4 assists per game.
Dime Magazine has a Q&A with Greg Minor, a former teammate of Walker in Boston who is now an assistant coach for Idaho. He says that the maturity of Walker — both of person and game — makes him stand out at the D-League level.
In terms of his personality, he’s been through a lot. I don’t want to discuss those experiences, but they have helped shape him in a way that has him appreciate life more. Everyone here in the Idaho Stampede family really support him.
I think the most important thing about his game at this level is that his basketball IQ is just so much higher. After 13 seasons in the NBA, a former NBA All-Star, there’s some value in that. I think he still passes the ball really great, and he can get to certain spots on the floor. He’s a presence in the locker room as players gravitate towards him. He’s made it clear that he’s no different that anybody else, and there’s no one different than the team. He’s made guys buy into the want to get to that next level, and guys really respect that.
But can Walker get back to the NBA?
That’s up to him. The amount of time that he puts in, the amount of energy he expends, I think he’s determined. Who wouldn’t want to excel at this level to get a chance to be called up at this stage of his career? He knows the window is closing, and there’s a sense of urgency.
It’s a long shot, NBA teams are going to want real value out of Walker to bring him in as opposed to a young player they might be able to develop. But if his conditioning gets there, this is about all you can ask of him. It would be interesting.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 22
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4