Jan 8, 2011, 5:01 PM EDT
It was a question before the team even went to training camp: In a close end-of-game scenario, who takes the last shot for the Miami Heat?
This season, with so many blowout wins, there have been few chances to see how this team will deal with end-of-game scenarios. But Friday night in Milwaukee the Heat had the ball in a tie game with 1.5 seconds left and chance to win.
So what did they do? Brian Windhorst of ESPN breaks down the play.
On the final play of regulation, the Heat had a 20-second timeout to set up a side out-of-bounds play with Wade, James and Chris Bosh all involved. The game was tied and there were 1.5 seconds left, which is not a lot of time but enough to perform a quick move after a catch.
When action started, James got open as he bolted out of the set and headed to the corner. Had this been any other season of his career, James likely would’ve gotten the pass there and had a chance to square up and fire a potential game-winner.
But inbounds man James Jones waited and let Bosh set a screen for Wade at the top of the key. (Wade got the ball.) With the Bucks keeping an eye on James, there was no help defender to handle Wade, who had faked toward the basket for a lob before pivoting to elude his defender.
The result was a clean 20-footer from the left wing that Wade missed.
LeBron James as a decoy. Wade got a clean look, which is all you can really ask for, it just didn’t fall. Wade said it was the most open he has ever been for a game winner.
This is just one glimpse, it’s hard to read much into it, other than to say when it gets to these situations in the future, the Heat have a lot of good options.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10