Jan 8, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
Whenever the phrase “almost bone on bone” is used in discussion of a knee problem, fans get worried. Especially when it’s Kobe Bryant using the words and Lakers fans see their dreams of a three-peat grinding away.
But when the Lakers were asked about it Friday night, the reaction was basically, “This is news?” Kobe’s knee has been at this point for more than a year so this is nothing new to them.
When Kobe was asked (via ESPN’s Land O’ Lakers) if Lakers fans should be worried, he went with the Bruce Willis action hero response.
“Do I look worried? Did we win last year? My knee last year was the size of a balloon and we still won. I’m not that concerned about it, we just have to be smart and pace ourselves…. It’s just listening to the body and I do a pretty good job of that. I just felt like now was the time to crank it up. (I) sacrifice a little swelling in the knee, but we needed to get the intensity back up.”
Phil Jackson said Kobe’s knee was just something that needed to be monitored and managed.
“He manages it very well. That’s important, that he’s got the ability to do that. It’s been an issue since last year. We monitored it all the way through the playoffs. Surprisingly, we came out on top and he was able to make adjustments. The operation in the summer helped. He’s come back in a way that I think is most appropriate. Limited practice time, and now that he’s stronger and he can adjust to a lot of what he has to deal with, and that helps the team out, too, have him on the floor with him.”
So Kobe’s knee is not a problem. At least until the Lakers lose three in a row again.
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 5
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 16
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 43