Jan 8, 2011, 10:34 PM EDT
The Nuggets want to deal with Nets — where they can get Derrick Favors and some first-round draft picks — but Anthony’s agent has pushed for getting Chauncey Billups and other players traded to New Jersey with him because Anthony doesn’t want to go to a rebuilding team.
Except, Billups doesn’t want to leave Denver.
That’s what his agent told Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.
“I’ve been in constant contact with Masai (Ujiri, the Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations) and made it clear that Chauncey’s desire is to remain a Nugget for the rest of his playing career and thereafter,” Billups’ agent, Andy Miller, said by phone Saturday to FanHouse. “If any of these rumors were to come to fruition, Chauncey and I would definitely want to maintain our flexibility and explore our free agency as soon as possible.”
Billups is a Denver native. He is set to make $14.2 million next season, however that can be bought out for $3.7 million at the end of this season. There is a chance Billups could be bought out right after any trade this season, although that seems a long shot.
The comments by Miller would have to give New Jersey (or any team looking to trade for Billups) pause. That pause could hurt the chances of the Nets to complete any three-team deal, although it does not preclude it. Meanwhile, Knicks executives are just smiling.
Billups took the high road with his comments.
“Everybody knows what I want and my intentions,” Billups, 34, said of wanting to finish his career with the Nuggets. “I’ve been clear about that. But I also know this is professional sports and this is a business. So I hope that I’m here. Everybody knows that. But, if I’m not, I’m going to do the best I can, whatever happens.”
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11