Jan 8, 2011, 10:34 PM EDT
The Nuggets want to deal with Nets — where they can get Derrick Favors and some first-round draft picks — but Anthony’s agent has pushed for getting Chauncey Billups and other players traded to New Jersey with him because Anthony doesn’t want to go to a rebuilding team.
Except, Billups doesn’t want to leave Denver.
That’s what his agent told Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.
“I’ve been in constant contact with Masai (Ujiri, the Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations) and made it clear that Chauncey’s desire is to remain a Nugget for the rest of his playing career and thereafter,” Billups’ agent, Andy Miller, said by phone Saturday to FanHouse. “If any of these rumors were to come to fruition, Chauncey and I would definitely want to maintain our flexibility and explore our free agency as soon as possible.”
Billups is a Denver native. He is set to make $14.2 million next season, however that can be bought out for $3.7 million at the end of this season. There is a chance Billups could be bought out right after any trade this season, although that seems a long shot.
The comments by Miller would have to give New Jersey (or any team looking to trade for Billups) pause. That pause could hurt the chances of the Nets to complete any three-team deal, although it does not preclude it. Meanwhile, Knicks executives are just smiling.
Billups took the high road with his comments.
“Everybody knows what I want and my intentions,” Billups, 34, said of wanting to finish his career with the Nuggets. “I’ve been clear about that. But I also know this is professional sports and this is a business. So I hope that I’m here. Everybody knows that. But, if I’m not, I’m going to do the best I can, whatever happens.”
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40