Jan 7, 2011, 1:51 AM EDT
If you take away one thing from the latest reports and rumors on a Carmelo Anthony trade, take away this — the saga will likely to drag out until near the trade deadline Feb. 24.
That said, talks are still going on, as Chris Broussard laid out at ESPN. He says that just before Christmas a three-team deal between the Nuggets, Nets and Cavaliers almost came to pass:
Denver would have received (Derrick) Favors, Devin Harris and three first-round picks. Cleveland would have received (the expiring contract of Troy) Murphy and one or two first-round picks, and the Nets would have received Anthony, Al Harrington and the Cavaliers’ ($14.5 million) trade exception, the sources said.
Beyond the sticking point of Anthony accepting or refusing to sign the long-term extension with New Jersey, the deal fell apart because both Denver and Cleveland wanted the 2012 first-round pick the Nets got from Golden State in the Marcus Williams trade. That pick is protected through the first seven slots.
Denver apparently is of the belief that the longer they hold out, the better the options they will have. That may be flawed, teams will start cutting them off at the knees knowing they have to move Anthony.
Know that, on some level, Anthony trade talks are still going on, (probably as you read this). But if you’re in a pool on the date ‘Melo gets traded, best take the dates close to the deadline. We are a long way from the finish line.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 6
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 9
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 24
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 15
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement