Jan 6, 2011, 4:20 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:20 pm: Yao Ming released this statement after his surgery.
“I’d like to thank everyone for their ongoing support. I know this will be another long rehab, but I’m looking forward to beginning my recovery. I will use this time to consider all of my options, and will make a decision regarding my career plans as I get closer to the end of my rehab.”
The surgery was deemed successful. Yao sounds less confident about his plans here, but this is a public statement in which it would be smart to leave his options open. There are still the reports (listed below) that say his goal is to return.
1:04 pm: Yao Ming had another surgery today, this one to repair a fracture in his left ankle.
Yao was previously diagnosed with a stress fracture in his left ankle, an injury that was expected to keep him out for the season. That after he missed all of last season following foot surgery.
Yao has been discussed in trades because he has a massive, $17 million expiring contract. However, nothing has yet come of that, and even if a team did trade for him they may well not want to re-sign him.
Yao said last summer he might just walk away from the game if he couldn’t get healthy, but now he sounds like he wants to give it one more shot. That may well be somewhere other than Houston — the only franchise he has ever known in the Association — but anyone showing interest in him would be taking a flyer.
Not a lot of players would have the desire and determination to continue doing all this rehab work to get back on the court. Yao, however, is not your average player. One thing he has always had is a fantastic work ethic. And he’s apparently not ready to give up on the game just yet.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 0
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 2
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 21
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 33