Jan 6, 2011, 7:46 PM EST
Phoenix grabbed Gani Lawal in the second round this season as a project. Coming out of Georgia Tech he had all the physical gifts you want in a big man, but playing next to Derrick Favors on a team where the guards didn’t get him the ball in good position, it was a little hard to judge just how good he might be.
Now it’s going to take longer to find out — Lawal is out for the rest of this season after surgery to repair a torn ACL and a partially torn MCL in his right knee, the team announced.
This doesn’t impact the Suns on the court, Lawal never played a minute in the NBA had had been sent to the Iowa Energy of the D-League. But it does set back his potential growth. The Suns gave him a three-year deal but the last two years are not fully guaranteed.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 6
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 41
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 8
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 14
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5