Jan 6, 2011, 7:46 PM EDT
Phoenix grabbed Gani Lawal in the second round this season as a project. Coming out of Georgia Tech he had all the physical gifts you want in a big man, but playing next to Derrick Favors on a team where the guards didn’t get him the ball in good position, it was a little hard to judge just how good he might be.
Now it’s going to take longer to find out — Lawal is out for the rest of this season after surgery to repair a torn ACL and a partially torn MCL in his right knee, the team announced.
This doesn’t impact the Suns on the court, Lawal never played a minute in the NBA had had been sent to the Iowa Energy of the D-League. But it does set back his potential growth. The Suns gave him a three-year deal but the last two years are not fully guaranteed.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 79
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20