Jan 6, 2011, 7:46 PM EDT
Phoenix grabbed Gani Lawal in the second round this season as a project. Coming out of Georgia Tech he had all the physical gifts you want in a big man, but playing next to Derrick Favors on a team where the guards didn’t get him the ball in good position, it was a little hard to judge just how good he might be.
Now it’s going to take longer to find out — Lawal is out for the rest of this season after surgery to repair a torn ACL and a partially torn MCL in his right knee, the team announced.
This doesn’t impact the Suns on the court, Lawal never played a minute in the NBA had had been sent to the Iowa Energy of the D-League. But it does set back his potential growth. The Suns gave him a three-year deal but the last two years are not fully guaranteed.
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 1
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 23