Jan 6, 2011, 7:46 PM EDT
Phoenix grabbed Gani Lawal in the second round this season as a project. Coming out of Georgia Tech he had all the physical gifts you want in a big man, but playing next to Derrick Favors on a team where the guards didn’t get him the ball in good position, it was a little hard to judge just how good he might be.
Now it’s going to take longer to find out — Lawal is out for the rest of this season after surgery to repair a torn ACL and a partially torn MCL in his right knee, the team announced.
This doesn’t impact the Suns on the court, Lawal never played a minute in the NBA had had been sent to the Iowa Energy of the D-League. But it does set back his potential growth. The Suns gave him a three-year deal but the last two years are not fully guaranteed.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10