Jan 6, 2011, 11:25 PM EDT
In what the team hopes will be the final act it announced it has fined Tony Allen for his part in the altercation. The release does not mention O.J. Mayo, as first noted by Marc Stein of ESPN on twitter.
That may seem a little odd because by all accounts Mayo was the verbal instigator of the incident. Mayo owed money to Allen from a card-game gambling debt and kept taunting Allen (who has a reputation as a tough guy) to the point that Allen just snapped and took swings at Mayo.
It is possible that there was discipline for Mayo and it was kept within the team. Mayo did not play in the Grizzlies last game for what was officially called a case of bronchitis. Nobody believes it, but that’s their story and they are sticking to it.
For their part, both Mayo and Allen have said they have moved on, as they told the Washington Post.
“Me, O.J. and the team, we pretty much had a whole practice on focusing on our offense and getting better with our defense,” Allen said. “I pretty much think it’s behind us. That’s how we’re looking at it at this point.”
“There definitely was an altercation between me and T.A.,” Mayo said. “By the way, that’s one of my good friends on this team. So, no hard feelings amongst each other.”
- Report: The Clippers have let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 3
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 8
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 6
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threat during Game 1 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable