Jan 5, 2011, 2:23 AM EDT
This 2011 dunk contest will feature the Clippers Blake Griffin, the Wizards’ JaVale McGee, the Thunder’s Serge Ibaka and the Bucks’ Brandon Jennings, according to the Los Angeles Times. The official announcement comes Thursday night.
That’s a pretty impressive lineup, even if it lacks established dunking stars such as Nate Robinson and Dwight Howard. Frankly, it’s time for a change from the Nate show.
Blake Griffin is the new dunking sensation this season, while JaVale McGee is one of the league’s more freakish athletes and at 7-foot can still make your head snap with his dunks. He was can’t miss for his exploits at Summer League. Expect McGee to get least one lob from teammate John Wall during the contest. Both Ibaka and Jennings have had some impressive dunks as well.
The contest will take place Feb. 19 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Even though Jennings is a Southern California kid (Dominguez High), Griffin is the guy with the home court advantage.
- Cavs GM: It’s “highly unlikely” Kevin Love returns at all in playoffs, even if Cavs make Finals 17
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 19
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 6
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 10
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 25
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2