Jan 5, 2011, 2:23 AM EDT
This 2011 dunk contest will feature the Clippers Blake Griffin, the Wizards’ JaVale McGee, the Thunder’s Serge Ibaka and the Bucks’ Brandon Jennings, according to the Los Angeles Times. The official announcement comes Thursday night.
That’s a pretty impressive lineup, even if it lacks established dunking stars such as Nate Robinson and Dwight Howard. Frankly, it’s time for a change from the Nate show.
Blake Griffin is the new dunking sensation this season, while JaVale McGee is one of the league’s more freakish athletes and at 7-foot can still make your head snap with his dunks. He was can’t miss for his exploits at Summer League. Expect McGee to get least one lob from teammate John Wall during the contest. Both Ibaka and Jennings have had some impressive dunks as well.
The contest will take place Feb. 19 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Even though Jennings is a Southern California kid (Dominguez High), Griffin is the guy with the home court advantage.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36