Jan 5, 2011, 6:27 PM EDT
The day was coming.
If the Nets weren’t 9-25 it might have come later — Kris Humphries has played pretty well as the starting power forward for the New Jersey Nets and put up a 12 points and 14 rebounds last game.
But at some point No. 3 pick Derrick Favors was going to be come the starter.
Um, just the right time is against Carlos Boozer? Pretty tough way to start.
Favors, considered a project as a draft pick who would not really blossom for a few years, has been more solid than many expected as a rookie. He is shooting 56.4 percent on the season, is grabbing 16 percent of the available rebounds when he is on the floor, and has been strong on the offensive glass. But what has really impressed — the reason he comes up in Carmelo Anthony trade talks — is Favors flashes crazy athleticism that he is just learning how to use. He could be an offensive force in this league (ESPN’s David Thorpe calls him potentially a young Amar’e Stoudemire). He’s also been a solid defender.
This is not a move about winning more games now; this is a move the Nets hope will pay off right about when they move to Brooklyn in two seasons.
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 0
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 0
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 5
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 33
- PBT Extra: Eastern Conference Finals preview time 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars