Jan 5, 2011, 6:27 PM EDT
The day was coming.
If the Nets weren’t 9-25 it might have come later — Kris Humphries has played pretty well as the starting power forward for the New Jersey Nets and put up a 12 points and 14 rebounds last game.
But at some point No. 3 pick Derrick Favors was going to be come the starter.
Um, just the right time is against Carlos Boozer? Pretty tough way to start.
Favors, considered a project as a draft pick who would not really blossom for a few years, has been more solid than many expected as a rookie. He is shooting 56.4 percent on the season, is grabbing 16 percent of the available rebounds when he is on the floor, and has been strong on the offensive glass. But what has really impressed — the reason he comes up in Carmelo Anthony trade talks — is Favors flashes crazy athleticism that he is just learning how to use. He could be an offensive force in this league (ESPN’s David Thorpe calls him potentially a young Amar’e Stoudemire). He’s also been a solid defender.
This is not a move about winning more games now; this is a move the Nets hope will pay off right about when they move to Brooklyn in two seasons.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 4
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10