Jan 5, 2011, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday night, O.J. Mayo was out of the Memphis lineup with what was officially called a case of bronchitis, but a swollen face may be the real cause.
Mayo and teammate Tony Allen got into a fight over a debt from a card game on the team’s Sunday night flight and had to be separated by teammates (Yahoo Sports had the story first). Grizzlies’ general manager Chris Wallace confirmed there was an incident in an email to media in which he also said:
“The club considers the matter closed and will not comment further.”
The cause of the fight, according to Yahoo, was money owed from a card game called “boo-ray” (officially “Bourré”) played on the plane, which Mayo lost (more than $1,000) then he antagonized Allen over it refusing to pay.
Expect the league to come in with potentially harsh fines and suspensions — remember it was a fight over money owed from a boo-ray card game between Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton that led to the gun incident in the Washington locker room last year, and subsequent suspensions for the rest of the season. The image-conscious NBA is not going to mess around this time.
This also may cause the league to come in and clamp down on card game gambling on team charter flights, which is a pretty common occurrence (back to Michael Jordan’s Bulls teams and beyond). Several teams took steps after the Wizards incident last year but a league-wide edict would not be a surprise now.
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 0
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 32
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 11
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 36
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 17
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 33