Jan 5, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT
Word leaked out about this Tuesday night so the NBA decided to just make it official on Wednesday:
Let’s be honest, this is essentially Blake Griffin — on his home court at Staples Center — against the field. McGee is a freakish athlete who has had some spectacular finishes on John Wall alley-oops (expect one of those in the competition) but we’ll see if he can be creative. Ibaka could win by blocking one of McGee’s dunks, that is what he is best know for.
Then there is the injured guard Jennings, who is not exactly known as a dunker (but there are videos of him from years ago actually dunking impressively). We’ll call him the wild card, he could get bonus points just because nobody has seen him dunk.
Let’s just hope players get creative. Griffin is a monster in-game dunker — so was Shannon Brown last year. That doesn’t necessarily translate to a dunk contest. In a game, there is a defender who is trying to stop you and the creativity is spur of the moment — you can’t go put on a cape and be Superman. A dunk contest dunk is something all together different.
Still, this is Griffin’s to lose.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 1
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 11
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights