Jan 5, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT
Word leaked out about this Tuesday night so the NBA decided to just make it official on Wednesday:
Let’s be honest, this is essentially Blake Griffin — on his home court at Staples Center — against the field. McGee is a freakish athlete who has had some spectacular finishes on John Wall alley-oops (expect one of those in the competition) but we’ll see if he can be creative. Ibaka could win by blocking one of McGee’s dunks, that is what he is best know for.
Then there is the injured guard Jennings, who is not exactly known as a dunker (but there are videos of him from years ago actually dunking impressively). We’ll call him the wild card, he could get bonus points just because nobody has seen him dunk.
Let’s just hope players get creative. Griffin is a monster in-game dunker — so was Shannon Brown last year. That doesn’t necessarily translate to a dunk contest. In a game, there is a defender who is trying to stop you and the creativity is spur of the moment — you can’t go put on a cape and be Superman. A dunk contest dunk is something all together different.
Still, this is Griffin’s to lose.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6