Jan 4, 2011, 11:21 AM EDT
But since then the Suns have struggled — 3-7 in their last 10 — and however they try to spin it the recent trade with Orlando was not going to make the Suns better right now. Rather, it seems to have hurt their playoff chances. It was not about shoring up the defense in the paint (something Marcin Gortat has not really done yet anyway) but about saving money.
So long as that is the case, and so long as they have a still very good but now age 36 Steve Nash in the fold, there will be trade speculation and talk.
Even the Suns are not sure what to do and are “on the fence” about whether or not to trade Nash, according to Sam Amick at FanHouse.
It’s a no win situation for the Suns. Trade Nash — who is an ingrained part of the Phoenix community and much beloved — and you will anger the fan base.
However, if you are serious about rebuilding — and you should be because the championship window with this Nash-led roster is closed — then trading Nash is the fastest way to turn things around. There would be a lot of interest and quality offers to come your way if he were available. The Knicks would be the loudest but, like with Carmelo Anthony, there likely would be better offers from teams with better young players and more picks.
Nash will say nothing and keep plugging along, playing well. It’s who he is and what he does.
It’s not an easy choice. Sarver may have sounded sure a few weeks ago, but a few weeks from now it would not be a shock to see a totally different game plan.
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 0
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 42
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60