Jan 4, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
Phil Jackson is not a traditional coach on a lot of levels — not only the team meditation sessions and the triangle offense, but also how he handles players. For example, few coaches more willingly needle players through the media to make a point than Jackson.
At a recent practice, league sources said, Artest loudly confronted Jackson. As he tried to fit into the defending champions a season ago and earn his way, Artest grudgingly went along with Jackson’s public floggings. This season, Artest has less tolerance for it. Essentially, Artest told Jackson that if he wants to coach him, coach him. Just stop embarrassing him in public.
After the Lakers last ugly game Artest retweeted some of the fans ripping the Lakers. It’s not the criticism, Artest has heard that from people and coaches for years, it’s how it’s directed. Kobe said that both Gasol and Artest have had issues with Jackson’s public prodding of players.
You know what would end a lot of this Lakers dissension talk? About three wins in a row. Not that it really changes the situation all that much, but with the team’s play of late everyone is on edge. Winning cures all ills.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 16
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 20
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- PBT: Heat haven't won back to back in a month
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins' little wins pay off big in Game 3