Jan 4, 2011, 12:29 PM EDT
Last week, during the hiatus in the Carmelo Anthony trade talks around the tragic death of his sister, Denver Nuggets officials reportedly said that before they traded Anthony they wanted to see him, Chauncey Billups, Nene, Kenyon Martin and the whole healthy Nuggets team together first.
As if that might change Anthony’s mind. As if he might see it all and pick up a pen and sign the three-year, $65 million deal sitting on the table and just stay put.
In a little note buried in David Aldridge’s weekly (and must read) column for NBA.com came this little nugget (pardon the pun):
Of course, when asked, ‘Melo says he’s just playing and isn’t thinking about the future, which is absurd on its face, as he’s left a $65 million extension on the table for months (and just, again, told the Nuggets last week that he had no intention of re-signing in Denver, according to a source.)
So just to reiterate, wherever ‘Melo is playing next — New York, New Jersey, Houston, Orlando, Turkey along side Allen Iverson — it will not be in Denver.
Which is what ‘Melo’s people have been telling Denver’s front office since this summer, but Denver just now may be moving on to the acceptance phase of this trade.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25