Jan 4, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
Well, this should be gasoline on the fire that is people thinking the Miami Heat’s egos are running amok.
During his postgame comments Monday night (via the Miami Herald), LeBron joked that the Heat call themselves “The Heatles” because they sell out every stadium they tour on the road. (The Heatles is a not-so-subtle Beatles reference. You know, the Beatles. That band Apple is incessantly hyping on iTunes right now.)
Ugh. I can’t want until the phony Heatlemania has bitten the dust.
LeBron, you should have stuck with contraction talk. It’s just too early for this — the Beatles are the most successful rock band of all time and you guys have yet to really do anything except look good in December. You haven’t even been on Ed Sullivan yet.
One other thing — try selling out your home arena before you go say this stuff. Think the Beatles didn’t sell out in Liverpool? The Heat are packing arenas on the road but any reader of this blog can still walk up to the box office windows and buy tickets for Heat games at the American Airlines Arena. Not good.
(LeBron, just a word of advice between you and me — if you’re on a Beatles kick avoid that whole “bigger than Jesus” thing that John Lennon tried. Did not go over well then, would get you crushed now that Christians have figured out this Internet thing. Just a warning.)
Over at CBS Facts & Rumors, Matt Moore makes the case that LeBron is really a good fit for John Lennon, Dwayne Wade makes a very good Paul McCartney, but that Chris Bosh is really more Ringo than the intellectual George Harrison (it was Harrison who helped transform the Beatles into the groundbreaking band it became by the late 1960s). All that works for me. I might start calling Bosh “Ringo.”
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 41
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31