Jan 3, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
Coach Stan Van Gundy said team physician Craig Mintzer and another doctor have reviewed the scans of Bass’ knee, and the doctors aren’t convinced that the burly power forward has a torn meniscus. So, for the time being, the team will attempt to treat the discomfort in Bass’ knee without surgery…
“I don’t think it’s going to prevent me from playing,” Bass said. “Well, I hope not. I’m going to go out tonight and see how I feel and see if I can give it a try.”
Bass has been key during the Magic resurgence, giving them some needed grit and rebounding along the front line with Dwight Howard. He can defend, play some five and knock down the midrange.
It’s a tough spot. If he ends up needing surgery he needs to get it now so he can be fully back for the playoffs (but the Magic would be forced to act fast to trade for front line help). If he doesn’t need it then it’s just a question of pain management. The choice is not an easy one.
If he can’t play any particular games, look for Hedo Turkoglu to start at the four for Orlando.
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 1
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 4
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 9
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable