Jan 3, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Charlotte center DeSagana Diop is out for the rest of the season after an MRI confirmed he ruptured his Achilles tendon Friday night against the Warriors.
Diop and Kwame Brown have been the primary backups for Nazr Mohammed. While the loss of Diop the player hurts the Bobcats some, the bigger blow could be on the trade front.
Both Diop himself and Mohammed had been on the trade blocks as part of several ongoing discussions. Now it will be nearly impossible to move Diop and it will make the Bobcats think twice about trading Mohammed (unless they get a center back) because then it becomes the Kwame Brown show. And that show has been cancelled everywhere it’s been on.
Diop is in his 10th NBA season. He will turn 30 next season, if he returns.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 41
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11