Jan 3, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
Charlotte center DeSagana Diop is out for the rest of the season after an MRI confirmed he ruptured his Achilles tendon Friday night against the Warriors.
Diop and Kwame Brown have been the primary backups for Nazr Mohammed. While the loss of Diop the player hurts the Bobcats some, the bigger blow could be on the trade front.
Both Diop himself and Mohammed had been on the trade blocks as part of several ongoing discussions. Now it will be nearly impossible to move Diop and it will make the Bobcats think twice about trading Mohammed (unless they get a center back) because then it becomes the Kwame Brown show. And that show has been cancelled everywhere it’s been on.
Diop is in his 10th NBA season. He will turn 30 next season, if he returns.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2